A full bathroom renovation is one of the most desired projects this season. If you want to spruce up yours, you will need to know how much a bathroom renovation costs in your area before you undertake any work.
You will also need to get cost estimates, so you know how much to budget for your project. However, keep in mind that the cost of a bathroom renovation can vary greatly because there are so many variables at work.
The following factors will affect the total cost of your bathroom renovation. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Level of renovation
- Is it a simple facelift, budget, mid-range, or a luxury renovation?
- How much work needs to be done?
- Demolition of walls, floor, and ceiling
- Change in electrical wiring and plumbing lines
- What is the size of the bathroom?
- What is the cost and quality of the bathroom fittings and building materials to be used?
- What is the value of the location of where you live?
- What is the cost of hiring draftsman, and other tradespeople?
Understanding these factors and expenses will help you plan your project and prepare your budget breakdown later.
The average cost of bathroom renovations in Australia
Considering the information listed above, a bathroom renovation can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $30,000 or more. It can be divided into three main brackets:
- A budget renovation costs around $10,000 to $15,000; often done in small bathrooms and makes use of low-cost building materials and affordable fittings.
- A mid-range renovation costs around $15,000 to $25,000; often done in standard-sized bathrooms and makes use of mid-range priced materials and fittings.
- A luxury renovation costs around $25,000 to more than $30,000; often very extensive, requires a lot of work, and makes use of high-end building materials, finishes and fittings
According to the Housing Industry Association (HIA), the average cost of a bathroom renovation in Australia across the board is more or less $17,000. The cost varies depending on where you are in the country too.
Average costs to renovate a bathroom in each capital city according to the HIA:
- ACT: ∼$23,000
- NT: ∼$22,500
- NSW: ∼$20,933
- QLD: ∼$20,190
- VIC: ∼$19,036
- SA: ∼$18,557
- WA: ∼$17,769
- TAS: ∼$15,167
Knowing these ballpark figures gives you a starting point so you have a better idea of how much to set aside for your project. These will help you as you prepare your project brief and your budget.
Procurement of bathroom fixtures, fittings, and building materials for your renovation project
The materials and fittings you choose will take up a significant chunk of your budget (around 75%). That being said, many homeowners try to cut costs here.
There are no rules on where you can splurge or save. It’s up to you how you’re going to spend your money. However, it would be nice to use a mix of expensive and inexpensive materials in your bathroom to help to achieve a high-end look. Here’s a costing table to help you find the sweet spot:
~ $3,000 ++
~ $500 ++
~ $1,400 ++
~ $900 ++
~ $200 ++
~ $1,200 ++
~ $3,500 ++
~ $1,000 ++
~ $500 ++
~ $400 ++
These are only cost estimates and the prices change from time to time. It is still best to look into the product catalogue of the supplier of your choice.
You can find some great bathroom products in our inspiration gallery. Check out the brand Mier.
In case you fell in love with one high-end feature but can’t stretch the budget to accommodate it, consider finding an affordable alternative that is similar in appearance.
(For example, you can substitute marble and travertine with porcelain that has a natural stone design.)
Hiring construction professionals and tradespeople
If you are handy with tools and have experience when it comes to renovating bathrooms, you can take on some DIY projects. However, in a full bathroom renovation, getting help from design professionals can make all the difference.
Working with experienced professionals will not only speed up the turnaround time but will also save you money. You might benefit from the many clever tricks up their sleeves and their ideas often help their customers truly cut costs in their renovation.
- architect, building designer, or draftsman (Dreamspace can provide you with this).
- builder (Dreamspace can help you obtain multiple quotes and help you choose the best one).
- Plumber – costs $69-$80 per hour
- Tiler – costs $45-$120 per hour or may charge by per metre
- Electrician – costs $80-$100 per hour
- Carpenter or cabinet maker – costs $45-$100 per hour or higher depending on experience level
- Handyman – costs $40-$55 per hour
How to start your bathroom renovation
For starters, Dreamspace has a network of qualified building designers who can help you get started and complete your renovation.
Step 1: Book a design consultation
Our designer pays a visit to your home to measure the space. We can also conduct a virtual design consultation and assist you in measuring the space.
Step 2: Brainstorm ideas
Sit down with your designer to discuss how you would like your bathroom to look and how much you plan to spend on this project. Your designer will sketch something for you on-site as you two discuss the layout, finishes, fixtures, and more. Once you are both on the same page, your building designer will finalise the drawings and prepare all the planning documentation required before construction.
Step 3: Virtual home tour
This step is optional, but it’s a great way to see your plan come to life in immersive, life-like 3D visualisation. Here, you will sit down with your Dreamspace designer and inspect the design before finalising it. Our virtual home tours also enable you to review the products you want to use and visually try-on other fixtures, fittings, surface finishes, design, patterns, or colours.
Check how your build or renovation will look like with 3D home tours.
As you move forward with your project, you will realise that there will be a lot to consider. Try not to become intimidated or overwhelmed.
The renovation experts here at Dreamspace are here to help you start off on the right foot and create your dream bathroom.